Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Building My Personal Brand

"Branded" by Derek Gavey, used under CC BY

One of the questions eating at me while preparing to release my Android game is "Do I need to establish a company (LLC) to sell on the Google Play market?" I know you can't trust everything you read on the internet, but this StackExchange post leans toward the negative. I haven't pulled the trigger on creating my Google Play Developer account yet, trying to get some details in order first, but that post indicates there is a "Developer" field where I can simply enter the name I want to use for my brand.

To do that, I thought really long and hard (and did quite a few Google searches) to find an obscure enough brand name that's easy to spell, easy to say, and sounds pretty darn cool. I'm almost too excited and about to blurt it out right now, but I've acquired the big three (website domain, Facebook, Twitter) and am in the process of fully configuring my accounts before a proper introduction. An excellent blog post from Mr. Bestebroer at OrangePixel got me thinking about the importance of building my brand. In addition to some useful marketing tips, he talks about including a little logo with each of your game icons to help players remember your games. It's a little mnemonic so that if they've played and enjoyed one of your games in the past, they are more inclined to try your newer games.

With that in mind, I've spent the past couple days creating my brand logo. I used a free vector-graphics program called Inkscape so I can resize the logo to any size without losing image quality. And I think I have a good plan for using the first character of my logo as the brand on my game icons.

Things are coming together, but I'm really not too good at the whole marketing aspect. I'm sure I have some friends who are way better at this, so if you have any tips or ideas about building your personal brand, or marketing in general, let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Have you released yet? Looking forward to seeing your brand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kayleigh, thanks for asking! I haven't released anything yet, but will be announcing my new brand shortly. Expect a couple posts about the brand and my first game very soon!

    ReplyDelete