Saturday, March 14, 2009

About Me

Welcome to my Game Developer Journey blog!

My name is Jeromie Walters, and I promise this is the only personal post you will ever see on this blog. Having held a long-time bias that many blogs simply disseminate unwanted TMI, this is a huge step for me. Having started the discipline of reading blogs related to the field of software development, particulary Jeff Atwood's Coding Horror and certain others I will add to my links section soon, I've come to learn that some blogs can be of great informational value and hope that this one will do the same. Jeff and others have convinced me that I should just start writing. Obviously my personal opinions will be expressed on topics related to game development, but my promise is that there will be no posts simply stating what I had for lunch.

Who am I? I am a software developer for a small engineering company in Ohio. I graduated from The University of Akron with a Master's Degree in Computer Science and truly enjoy the art of programming. Of course, I got into it with the idea of writing games but eventually learned that I couldn't translate my general software development knowledge into game creation. At my current job, I work on a large web application that helps companies manage their business. It's a great company to work for and I get to use the latest and greatest web technologies, but I still feel like something is missing.

I believe my passion is game development. I love to work on something and get to SEE something visibly change on the screen! It's such an amazing rush to work on something and see your creation come to life. I took a couple (sadly underwhelming) graphics courses in college and have spent some time learning Direct3D on my own, especially recently.

I've always been a highly-motivated, goal- and detail-oriented person and I figure if this person can use a blog to try to get a better job, why can't I? I don't expect the game development companies to come knocking quickly (though that would be great!), but even if this blog helps me to just capture my own progress and have a chance to learn from others' experiences (please comment!), it will have been a success. I believe the Internet is an amazing tool for knowledge sharing and hope you will enjoy following my journey to become a true Game Developer!

No comments:

Post a Comment